This project is read-only.

Looking for an algorythm

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Hello!

I'm a student of civil engineering in Padua, Italy, and I'm searching for learning MapWindow GIS.

I was working with MapWindow 4.7, and becouse of a crash of the program, I decided to upgrade it. I downloaded the 4.8 version, but now I can't find the needed algorythm.

In the old version, inside the plug-in "Watershed Delineation" I can find "Network and Watershed Processing Functions" and then "River Network Raster Upstream of Outlets". Inside that window, I'm supposed to use the "area and slope threshold" algorythm, but the program crashes.

In the last version (4.8) I can't find the same thing! Can someone help me?

Thank you very much, and I'm sorry for my bad english...

Alessandro Drago 

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Hi Alessandro,

You should definitely be using MapWindow 4.8.6, the latest stable version.

MW 4.8.6 uses version 5 of TauDEM, which is considerably reorganised compared with previous versions.  It is now a set of individual binaries, and they do not map exactly 1-1 with the old functions.  The various methods of calculating stream thresholds are an area of change.  The MW interface has changed accordingly.

There are several sources of information.  The "Help" button on any of the "advanced" Watershed Delineation forms opens the TauDEM help file which contains a lot of information.  There are also useful documents on the TauDEM documentation page http://hydrology.usu.edu/taudem/taudem5.0/documentation.html.

Chris