"Random" colors vs. "judicious random" colors

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM

When MapWindow randomly selects colors for adjacent geographic areas, often one area will get the same color as an adjacent area.  This makes it harder to distinguish at a glance between those two areas

Better would be a "judicious random" strategy for selecting colors.  The algorithm would be simple:

1. Randomly select a color for the area.

2. If the color matches that of an adjacent area, go to step 1.

It might seem that this strategy would require a large palette of colors.  Actually, a palette of as few as four colors will suffice.  (See "Four color theorem", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-color_map )

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Thanks for sharing this with us.
We'll consider this for v4.9

It seems you know what you're talking about. We could use you in the v4.9 development team.

Thanks,
Paul

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the invitation.

I am not up to date on programming languages, and I'm not involved in geography or terrain studies. So I'm not sure I'd be of much help.

But I'd be happy to continue to make suggestions from a user's viewpoint, as I have been doing.

What other help can you use?

Regards,

Roy

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 01:44:53 -0800
Subject: Re: "Random" colors vs. "judicious random" colors [mapwindow4:284085]

Thanks for sharing this with us.
We'll consider this for v4.9
It seems you know what you're talking about. We could use you in the v4.9 development team.
Thanks,
Paul
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (mapwindow4@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email mapwindow4@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Dec 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Roy,

We can use all kinds of help. What you are doing is already a big help.
Feel free to comment on the other discussion topics as well.

At this moment only some changes in the OCX are being developed.

In mid January I want to start creating a dev. group that will start with the GUI and such.

Thanks,

Paul

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:05 AM
Paul,

I'll start keeping a list of GUI suggestions, and will keep an eye on discussions of interest

Regards,

Roy

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:44:43 -0800
Subject: Re: "Random" colors vs. "judicious random" colors [mapwindow4:284085]

Roy,
We can use all kinds of help. What you are doing is already a big help.
Feel free to comment on the other discussion topics as well.
At this moment only some changes in the OCX are being developed.
In mid January I want to start creating a dev. group that will start with the GUI and such.
Thanks,
Paul
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (mapwindow4@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email mapwindow4@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com