The final release for v4.8, with version number 4.8.6 is available at http://mapwindow4.codeplex.com/releases
This is the third release candidate for MapWindow v4.8. It has 4.8.4 as version number.
This will be the final candidate. Only a few tool bar and menu icons are going to be updated.
If no major crashes are reported this version will be the stable version in 2 weeks time.
If you do get an exception send the exception to us. Don't forget to include your e-mail address.
Use the forums at http://www.mapwindow.org/phorum/
Please consider donating a small portion of the money you have saved by having free GIS tools: http://www.mapwindow.org/pages/donate.php
What’s New in 4.8 R3 (4.8.4)
• Numerous enhancements and bug fixes in the symbology plug-in (Sergei Leschinsky)
• The DotSpatial projection library has been removed again, because it was not mature enough. GDAL/OGR with Proj4 and a EPSG database is now implemented for handling the projections. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• Because the projection routine is now in the OCX, several classes and properties (GeoProjection class) have been added. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• The GDAL library has been upgraded to v1.8.1 (Paul Meems)
• The GEOS library has been upgraded to v3.3.0. (Paul Meems)
• Made the Proj4 library static, meaning no need for a separate proj.dll anymore. (Paul Meems)
• Removed the Xerces library, because it wasn't used. (Paul Meems)
• Several hard-coded settings have been added as applications settings. (Tevaganthan Veluppillai)
• Several issues with the print lay-out tool have been fixed. (Brian Marchionni)
• Some icons in the menu and toolbar were updated or added. (Paul Meems)
• The print lay-out tool is using a default template on open, making instant maps. (Paul Meems)
• A plug-in base class was added, making it even easier to create plug-ins. (Matthew Klein)
• The GIS Tools have been converted to a Toolbox and you can add custom tools to it as well. And several new tools have been added. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• A set of raster tools were added. (Bhaskar Reddy Pulsani)
• The documentation has been updated: http://www.mapwindow.org/apps/wiki/doku.php (Dan Ames)
• The MapWindow website has been updated: http://www.mapwindow.org/ (Dan Ames)
• Added several images that can be used as point symbols in the new symbology. (Paul Meems)
• Changed the mouse cursors. (Paul Meems)
• The table editor has been improved; it is much faster now. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• The ocx can now read and write project files. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• Added World Topo Map and World Street Map from ArcGIS Online as tiles servers to the tiles plug-in. (Paul Meems)
• Added dynamic visibility to the tiles in the tiles plug-in. This makes zooming much faster. (Paul Meems)
• Added the 'Validate shapefile' tool to the toolbox, makes the errors visible. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• When doing spatial operations (union, etc.) invalid shape with small areas (<1m2) are not added to the result file. (Sergei Leschinsky)
• Implemented MapWinGeoProc.SpatialOperations.ConvexHull. (Paul Meems)
• Created MapWinGeoProc.SpatialOperations.CreateCentroids. (Paul Meems)
• Added 'Create centroid' tool to the toolbox. (Paul Meems)
• Improved memory handling and other minor changes to the AWD plug-in. (Paul Meems)
• Link to Donate page (http://www.mapwindow.org/pages/donate.php) added to the Help menu, Welcome screen and installer. (Paul Meems)
• Added help file about how to install MPICH for TauDEM. (Paul Meems)
• Fix invalid shapes is added as a tool in the toolbox.(Sergei Leschinsky)
And of course a lot of bugs have been fixed.
Use http://bugs.mapwindow.org for a list.
Most enhancements to the ActiveX control can be found here: http://mapwingis.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Version%20history