MapWindow 4.8.6 32 bit download error

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

The download for the 4.8.6 32-bit final release downloads as an html file, essentially disabling the ability to install it.  The actual file name is "MapWindowx86Full-v48Final-installer.exe.htm", which redirects to a blank page with the message "There was an error downloading the file. It may have been deleted from the server."

Has anyone else run into this and have any ideas on where the 32-bit install executable might be obtained from?

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I've just tried and had no problem downloading the installer.

Can you try again?

--
Paul

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Paul,

I tried again with same error.  I was using FF.  I tried with Chrome and it worked fine.  One note is that I tried the 64-bit version with FF and it worked fine, so for some reason only the 32-bit version using FF is troublesome.

On another note, after downloading I installed it but when I tried to start mapwindow I got the following error:

The .NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

I haven't figured out how to get past this yet so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them!

Thanks,

Dana

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Hi Dana,

You're experiencing some weird issues I haven't seen before.
Did you run the 32-bit or 64-bit installer? I would recommend the 32-bit installer, it is more up-to-date.
And try to run the installer as an admin: right-click on the file and select Run As...

Which version of Windows are you using?

--
Paul

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Paul,

Thank you for your response. I have been having trouble with the 32-bit installer only, as I am trying to install mapwindow on a 32-bit windows pc. I have tried it on 4 different pc’s, all as administrator, two of which are running windows 7 and two which are running windows xp. All get the same error as soon as the dos window is rendered.

Dana

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:41 AM
To: danakrich@gmail.com
Subject: Re: MapWindow 4.8.6 32 bit download error [mapwindow4:407154]

Hi Dana,

You're experiencing some weird issues I haven't seen before.
Did you run the 32-bit or 64-bit installer? I would recommend the 32-bit installer, it is more up-to-date.
And try to run the installer as an admin: right-click on the file and select Run As...

Which version of Windows are you using?

--
Paul

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Paul,

Thank you for your response.  I have been having trouble with the 32-bit installer only, as I am trying to install mapwindow on a 32-bit windows pc.  I have tried it on 4 different pc’s, all as administrator, two of which are running windows 7 and two which are running windows xp.  All get the same error as soon as the dos window is  rendered.

Dana

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The text below is from an external email correspondence regarding this problem.....

Hi Dana,

Can you try this installer: http://tinyurl.com/mwMonthly

This is the latest beta version and should be stable for production.

Thanks,

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul,

That worked. Both the firefox and the dos windows problems disappeared and MapWindows installed as expected. Thanks!

Dana